Astronomy from the Group Up! Workshop for Science Teachers at "The Dish"
20 -22 May 2011
Science Teachers, this is your opportunity to develop your knowledge of how to teach astronomy in an exciting and engaging manner. Over three days in the shadow an icon of Australian science, the Parkes radio telescope, you will have the chance to enhance your confidence and skills in the astronomical concepts required to teach junior high school science. No background or training in astronomy is required for participation in this workshop.
The workshop is offered by the CSIRO and sessions will cover a range of topics on astronomical objects and techniques. It focuses on the role of Australian astronomers and facilities to provide you with relevant examples to use with your students. Examples of current research and background information on key aspects of astronomy will enhance your confidence in teaching the subject effectively.
Workshop sessions will be varied and provide you with opportunities to:
- trial "hands-on" activities you can take back to the classroom
- incorporate the latest research in astronomy education in your teaching
- meet and listen to Australian astronomers and talk with them about their work and the cosmos
- tour the Parkes radio telescope and learn how it works
- learn how to run a viewing night for your students and find your way around the night sky using the unaided eye and small optical telescopes (weather permitting)
- use powerful visualisation and other free software tools and learn how to incorporate them in your classes
- take home a range of useful and practical resources and ideas that you can use with your students.
The workshop will be presented by experienced astronomers and astronomy educators. Most importantly, as it is a residential workshop away from the daily stresses of school you will have ample opportunity to network with colleagues and talk with astronomers and engineers whilst enjoying stimulating activities and fine food!
For full details visit http://outreach.atnf.csiro.au/education/teachers/workshops/afgu.html or contact:
CSIRO Australia Telescope National Facility
phone 02 9372 4247
fax 02 9372 4444